Saturday, August 16, 2008

Missed Trains, Singh is Kinng et al !

In the middle of the long Independence day weekend. Should have been writing this blog from Delhi, where we were supposed to do a short holiday. But that was not to be !

It all began when we decided to travel to Delhi by Rajdhani Express - its been years since we have travelled by train - so seemed liked a good idea - also considering that the fares are far cheaper than travelling by plane these days - what with all the fuel hikes. My colleague in Admin, kindly agreed to help with the train bookings.

I should have known that this was going to be difficult. A waitlisted Tatkal ticket was the first step. And then my colleague with some effort got me a letter from the Prime Ministers Office for a special quota allocation of 4 berths on the August Kranti Rajdhani.

The day came and my family came to pick me up at 3.30 pm on the 14th of August and we started driving to Bombay Central - there was a tremendous traffic jam and at 4.40 pm, we were at Mahim and a long way to drive to Bombay Central. We decided to jump out of the car at Mahim and took the local suburban train - another first experience for us - with our bags et al and travelled First Class (if you can call this) to Bombay Central.

The reservations board at Bombay Central was completely packed and so used the services of a good porter who helped me to find a TTE. Who then sadly confirmed that there was no confirmation of any reservation for us. My little son, who was so excited at simply looking at the trains was hugely disappointed.

We then began the long drive back hom - it took us 3 1/2 hours to get back home. We contemplated going to the airport and booking our flight tickets to Delhi. But I guess our excitement balloon had been pricked and we decided to stay put at home. My wife insisted that she does the Varalaxmi Pooja the next day. Which is what we did.

Badri and Kumkum came home and we all went to Singh is Kinng - which was quite nice actually - there is no real story here and the movie is all fun. We just managed to get 5 tickets. My kids were in the first row at Fame Malad, Kumkum in the third row, Badri in the 4th and me in the 5th. But it was worth it. We quite liked it.

Today the 16th, saw us back at InOrbit, where we had lunch at Rajdhani, a lovely rajasthani food place, which we have grown to love. And then we shopped a bit for the kids and myself at Crossword. I have been struggling to get my fit on trousers - so as a first, we went to the Raymonds Showroom and gave an order to get my trousers stitched. Not taking any chances, gave my Marks & Spencers trousers as the sample to be matched exactly. If this works, will probably do so.

tomorrow is the last day of holiday for me now - I will give up the Monday and Tuesday holiday and get to work - sad.

I should have taken the family to Hongkong, which was the original plan anyway ! Will plan this out now.

No comments: