Saturday, June 7, 2008

Holidays, Surgery etc

Gosh, its been more than 3 months since Feb 23, when I wrote my last blog. Lots to write and we are becoming Mumbaikars once again - cannot really believe that we have been here for more than 7 months.

Let me begin with the latest - I had a surgery for hernia last week - a long pending matter for over 5 years, that I finally got rid off. Great surgeon Dr. Bhandarkar at the Hinduja Hospital who did it under a Laparascope, minimally invasive. On monday, the sutures go off and I should be back at work. But I must admit that one humbling moment was when I was wheeled into the 3rd floor where all the operating theatres are. At 8 am in the monring, there was lots of traffic - I saw at least 6 other patients like myself, all in hospital attire, waiting to be wheeled into the respective theatres. This was my first surgery, so you can imagine - lots of feelings. I was most unsure about anesthaesia. I went into Op Theatre 1 and walked to the operation table. I lay down on it - first feeling - it was warm, it was a heated table - probably to compensate the cold atmosphere in the room. the operation theatre was large and very much looked like ones you see in one of the hospital soaps like House. There was Gold FM playing and belting out some nice songs. The guys got to work pretty quickly - they put a needle on my left wrist and started drip feeding the anesthesia. I must have been awake after that for no more than a minute. I only woke up a couple of hours later in the recovery room. The hospital room was nice - with a TV an all. I had some drips on for a few hours and it was quite boring being strapped to the bed. But by late afternoon, I was able to get up and walk around. I discharged the next day.

The rains have just begun and Mumbai has started cooling - my kids, esp Hrishi loved the first rains and played in the rains with the other kids. He is looking forward to it, but we have told him how dreary it is likely the become. On the very first day of rain, a stretch of road near the domestic airport caved in with 3 hour traffic jams. A couple of days earlier, a high tide drenched Juhu. So, dont know what the monsoons this time have in store for us. Fingers crossed !!

We took a brief holiday at the end of April - we drove to Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani. Two great things - I drove myself - without the driver. Long distance driving in India for the first time for me. The expressway is great to drive and the NH4 thereafter is also great. We stayed at a lovely Birla bungalow which was fantastic - reminded me of some of the ITC bungalows that I had stayed in years ago.

On the way to Mahabaleshwar, we drove across to the Japalouppe Equestrian Centre, where my daughter was camping. It was her birthday as well - so it was good to give her a surprise. We had bought a cake the previous day, but had forgotten to carrry it the next morning. We bought some chocolates instead. The horse riding centre was quite nice - quite a few horses, large grounds. The kids certainly appeared to have fun.

Mahabaleshwar was fun - our best was the visit to Tapola whihc is about 30 kms from Mahabaleshwar - lots of lakes converging - great views, great drive as well - reminded me of Lake District in the UK. It was very beautiful. It was good to take this holiday.

The kids schools have just begun after the hols.

Overall, things are beginning to fall into a pattern. Cant complain.

No comments: